Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oreo Rocky Road Brownies

I was just away for a week in Puerto Rico, and every day at the beach the resort would give us a free pack or oreos. Instead of eating them, I stockpiled them up and planned on using them in a new recipe when I came back home. I was worried security may stop me again and wonder why I had almost 40 oreos in my bag (I have been stopped the three past times I was flying because seriously, a 5'2" blonde 17 year old looks very incriminating), but fortunately I flew through security and didn’t have to do any explaining about my interesting baggage contents.
For a new spin on rocky road bars I came up with oreo, marshmallow brownies.

Ingredients:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
9 plus 3 Oreos, coarsely chopped
¾ cup plus ½ cup mini marshmallows

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8×8 inch baking pan. In a small saucepan over medium heat, place the unsweetened chocolate and butter. Continually whisk the two together, and turn off the heat once the butter is melted but continue to whisk the mixture until fully melted and blended together.


In a separate bowl stir the eggs and sugar together, and then add the chocolate and butter mixture to it. Then add in the vanilla and salt, and finally the flour. Mix until well combines and fold in the semisweet chocolate chips, ¾ cup of the marshmallows, and 9 of the chopped oreos.
Pour the mixture into the already greased pan and spread it so it is evenly distributed throughout the pan. Finally, top it with the 3 extra chopped oreos and ½ cup of marshmallows.
 Place in the preheated over for 30 to 35 minutes and cool before slicing.

In order to prevent the marshmallows on top from being crunchy, you can add them on top when there is only 2 more minutes of baking time left.

These came out dense and fudgy, and good. You can always add nuts if you want but I didn’t want to complicate. The marshmallows complimented the cream filling of the oreos well, and I didn’t find the marshmallows on top to be too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment