Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chocolate Covered Peppermint Patties

Today I decided to bake for my friend Olivia who loves peppermint and chocolate (yes this is a different friend from the one who got into college and the one I owed money to, surprising that I have more than 2 friends right?). I’ve made her many peppermint chocolate desserts before so I wanted to try something out of the ordinary. I had some peppermint chocolate candies in the cabinet so I thought to try covering them with chocolate dough to see how it would turn out.
Recipe for chocolate covered peppermint patties and mint truffle kisses:









Recipe:



2/3 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp fresh baking soda

1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp milk
15-20 mini-peppermint patties
Mint Truffle Hershey's kisses (optional)

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl mix together the butter and sugar. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and blend. In a separate bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add this to the already mixed wet ingredients, and mix well.

Crimping the edges.
Refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until firm. Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease cookie a sheet. When the dough is done chilling, shape small portions of the dough around the mini-peppermint patties, completely covering the candy. I had a little extra dough (only 13 patties to cover), so I took out some mint truffle Hershey kisses and made balls of dough around them with the extra batter.

Place these on the cookie sheet, flatten slightly and crimp with a small fork’s prongs (this is not necessary on the cookies filled with the mint truffle kisses).

Bake 10-12 min. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute, and then move the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
It's like cracker jacks, a treat with a surprise inside!

Both these mint treats were tasty, but I think that the covered peppermint patty beats the mint truffle kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment