Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cake Experiment #1

Watching over the top cake decorating shows such as Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes has given me motivation to try some basic decorating of my own (and I mean very basic when I say basic). Instead of using your typical pastry bag, I found a kid's cupcake and cookie decorating kit at Williams-Sonoma (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wskids-cookie-and-cupcake-decorating-kit/). The easy-grip bottles and various tips gave me more control in decorating.
Photo Courtesy of williams-sonoma.com

I started out by using all recipe's simple white cake recipe (http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/simple-white-cake/Detail.aspx) to make two round layers that I later frosted with homemade butter cream frosting. I was going less for taste and more for an easy recipe to be bale to practice decorating on.
I mad sure the layers were cool, brushed off the crumbs, and frosted the 2 cake layers together. I spooned a large heap of frosting in the center of the top of the cake and then smoothed it around the top and sides with a warm, wide knife. I put the cake in the fridge for a few minutes to harden and then used the star tip to create a simple design around the top and bottom, and I think it turned out pretty well for a first attempt!
Next time I'm going to try different colors and possibly lettering.

No comments:

Post a Comment