Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Walnut Pie Bars


Crisis, alert! No flour left in the house! I was so ready to bake (not only because I wanted to, but I needed baked goods to bring into school) and I opened the flour jar and nothing! I looked in the cabinet, rummaged through the shelves, and still nothing. On top of it, we are out of sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and other ingredients for no bake treats so I was in a serious dilemma until I discovered a package of Betty Crocker cookie mix in the bak of my kitchen cabinet.
I usually never use store-bought mixes. But in times like these, I was desperate. Of course I couldn't just make the sugar cookies as directed, and instead made up my own recipe to take a plain mix and make it look homemade- I guess you can call it semi-homemade baking.

Recipe:
Ingredients:
Crust-
1 pouch Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
½ cup butter
1 egg

Filling-
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup corn syrup
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups chopped walnuts

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
In large bowl, stir all Crust ingredients until dough forms. Press dough in bottom of pan using floured fingers. Bake 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir all Pecan Filling ingredients until well blended. Pour over hot crust.

Bake 15 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely, and then cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment