Saturday, May 7, 2011

Whole Wheat Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins

This week is AP testing and since my teachers are therefore not giving any work and I don't really plan on studying, I have more time when I get home to cook and bake. I literally sat in the testing room for an hour after I took one of my exams waiting for the time to be up that I could leave. The people around me probably thought I was impressively fast, but I actually just ran out o things to say on the free response section. (That's not too good of a sign now is it...)
Spiced sweet potato muffin with a brown sugar, oat, and almond topping.
Anyways, I had some sweet potato puree left from the brownie recipe, so I needed to come up with another recipe so I wouldn't waste it. I decided to make muffins. You can make them in any size you want, but I love to make mini muffins since you can easily take one to go  and pop in your mouth.

Recipe:
Ingredients:
All the topping ingredients before being mixed.
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sweet potato puree
½ cup milk
2 eggs

Topping-
¼ cup oatmeal
3 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup almonds
½ teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a muffin pan well.
In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potato, milk, brown sugar, and eggs. Add in the vanilla and other spices and the baking soda and baking powder. Gradually add in the whole wheat pastry flower. Once all the ingredients are well combined, pour the batter into the greased muffin tins until each is about ¾ full.

In a separate bowl, combine the ¼ cup oatmeal, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, ¼ cup almonds, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. You can either chop the almonds and then just stir all the ingredients together, or put all the ingredients into a food processor to create a more homogenous mixture.
Sprinkle this “topping” on top of the unbaked muffins.
Now, place the muffins in the oven for 11-13 minutes.

Remove the oven and wait until cooled before removing from tin.

My sweet potato creations, all from one can of puree.








No comments:

Post a Comment