Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rolo Cups

So what do you know, it's spring and we have a 2 hour delay for snow and sleet. I would like to be sleeping but I was lying in bed for about an hour (even before regular start time of school) and I was finding it impossible to fall back asleep. So instead of just lying there, I thought I could be more productive and invent a new baking recipe.
I fished into my cabinets and saw some rolo candies. I decided to experiment making blondie-like cups with rolos inside.
Here's what I came up with:






Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

About 30 rolo chocolate caramel candies


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 F and heavily grease 2 small-sized muffin/cupcake tins and set aside (to make it easier to take the rolo cups out in the end).
Combine together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into one bowl. In another bowl, mix together the sugar and butter and then beat in the egg and vanilla. Once this is combined well, gradually add in the dry ingredients and finally mix in the mini semisweet chocolate chips.
Spoon the batter into the individual cups until it is about 3/4 of the way full. Afterwards, insert a rolo candy into the center of each cup until it is even with the top of the batter.
Mini chips are good to not overpower,
and make the rolo stand out.


Place the tins into the oven for 14-17 minutes.
remove from the oven, let cool, and then remove from the tins and enjoy.

I put in a little too much batter so they puffed up a little more than desired, but it was kind of nice because in a way it concealed the rolo inside so it was more of a surprise and the taste of it was still very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment