Saturday, March 19, 2011

Whole Wheat Blueberry Bread

Mmmmmmmmm.

For Lent my friend decided that she would give up sweets which is a problem for me because about the quarter of the time I bake for her and make her try the concoctions I come up with. However, I realized that I could still make her some baked goods, as long as they weren't cookies or brownies or anything too sugary. She was thrilled when I told her that I had made her whole wheat blueberry bread and aid it was one of the best things I have ever baked!


Recipe:
Ingredients:
Lemon zest adds a little flavor punch
that compliments the blueberries.

¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

¾ cups sugar
1 ¼ cup white whole wheat flour

¾ cup oats
1-2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
1 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon lemon zest
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup room temperature butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

½ cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon canola oil
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 cup blueberries
Fold in blueberries to prevent them from being squished.

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a larger bowl, mix together the butter and sugar. Once mixed, add in the eggs, vanilla, and oil. Next, add in the Greek yogurt and lemon zest, and once this is all well combined, slowly add in the dry flour mixture.
Stir in the walnuts and finally fold in the blueberries, being careful not to crush them.
Pour the batter into your already greased loaf pan.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, remove form the oven and let cool before slicing.


I put in some flaxseed for extra nutrient benefits, but you couldn't even taste it. The bread is kind of hard to cut though in nice clean slices, but whatever, it all tastes good anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment